الجمعة، 6 أكتوبر 2017

!!! Why I love the library profession


By
El-Ramady,Amany Zakaria (Ph.D.)

Associate Professor,at Library&Information Science Department,
Alexandria University(Egypt)

Published in :Library Work Life , July 2011 issue.http://ala-apa.org/newsletter/2011/07/01/why-i-love-the-library-profession/

As a matter of fact , I am a faculty member at Library&Information Science department ,but I have been working ,on my own, as a volunteer librarian ,since my graduation in 1986!
I love helping people(friends, neighbors, colleagues, students, and others) solve their information problems ,or find information for doing assignments, research papers ,or theses. Sometimes I would help them to help themselves finding information, either in the library ,or on the World Wide Web.
Why I love doing so? It is for the following main reasons:
·         The library profession is rewarding ,i.e. when I see users happy after solving their problems , I feel happy too, and when I, later on , see them  successful and prosperous, I feel proud of myself , because I was one of the reasons  for their success and prosperity!
·           Becoming  more and more knowledgeable: Every time I help someone to find information, I happen to find some information that I need myself , either for teaching ,doing  research ,or for my personal life; which  reminds me of the Arabic  saying:” the more you give knowledge ,the more you get ”!
·         The helpful librarian is a master: as the librarian keeps serving users all the time, helping them find what they are looking for, or make right decisions depending on accurate and updated information, or even solve their problems through bibliotherapy ; Thus, the helpful librarian must be a great master ,according to the Arabic proverb:" He who serves  people is their master "!
·         Being a lifelong educator: The librarian can help library users to be independent learners  ,through organizing Information Literacy Programs, thus making them able to solve their own information problems (which is a survival skill in the information age)and guarantee that they  stay educated for their lifelong, which contributes to the development of the whole nation!.
·         Being an owner of the knowledge treasury keys: By mastering the techniques of searching into various information sources in different specialties, and knowing where and how to find them; the librarian becomes  one of the owners of the  knowledge treasury keys.
·         An increasingly important profession: In this information age, where information is the everlasting economic Resource, and the Distinct Source of Power; the librarians' status will get more and more valuable!
Concerning the replacement of librarians by technological devices;
 I think that ,for many reasons, no machine can replace a skilled
 and evolving librarian!
 Elbert Hubbard has reflected this fact by his saying:
"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men.
No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man"![1]


All in all, it feels great to work in the library profession, simply 
because the library ,in my views, is like a candle that is able to
 lighten the darkness of the whole world !
============




[1] Elbert Hubbard, The Roycroft Dictionary and Book of Epigrams, 1923, Quotations about Technology,{cited:4/3/2011},available from: http://www.quotegarden.com/technology.html

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق